Mason Greenwood, Manchester United and England forward, has been cleared of all charges of rape against him

Greenwood was arrested by police in the United Kingdom on January 30, 2022, after video of an attempted rape against his ex-girlfriend was posted online.

Man United suspended the 21-year-old indefinitely following the incident. He was then charged in court with attempted rape, controlling and coercive behavior, and assault.

The Crown Prosecution Service said on Thursday that the charges had been dropped after crucial witnesses withdrew their participation.

“We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review,” the police spokesman said.

“In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.

“We have explained our decision to all parties. We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met.”

Greater Manchester Police, through Michaela Kerr, added that the decision not to prosecute Greenwood had “not been taken lightly”.

“The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly,” Kerr said.

“Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail.”

The Bradford-born player broke into the first team in 2019.

He has scored 22 goals in 83 English Premier League appearances for Man United.

See also  Chelsea Officials Have Had 'Face To Face Meeting' With Serie A Giants Over Potential £69M Transfer


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *