Christian Atsu of Ghana is gone, he is going to be a big miss, rest on Legend.

It is now confirmed that Christian Atsu is now found under the rubble where he lived but dead as the result of earthquake that occurred in Turkey shortly after he joined his Turkish club.

There were initial reports that the former Chelsea and Newcastle player had been rescued a day after the quake, but these turned out to be false.

His manager in Turkey, Murat Uzunmehmet, told DHA news agency on Saturday that his body had been found under the rubble in the Turkish southern province of Hatay.

“We have reached his lifeless body. His belongings are still being removed. His phone was also found,” Uzunmehmet told DHA.

Ghana’s ministry of foreign affairs said it had “received the unfortunate news”.

“The elder brother and twin sister of Christian Atsu and an officer of the (Ghanaian) embassy were present at the site when the body was recovered,” the ministry said in a statement.

Ghana said it was working with the Turkish government to organise the transport of the body back to Atsu’s home country for burial.

Midfielder Atsu spent four seasons at Chelsea before a permanent transfer to Newcastle in 2017. He signed last September for Turkish Super Lig side Hatayspor.

Chelsea issued a statement declaring: “It is with enormous sadness that Chelsea Football Club receives the news that Christian Atsu is confirmed as one of the many victims of the dreadful earthquake in Turkey and Syria.”

Newcastle also paid hommage to “a talented player and a special person”.

The club added: “He will always be fondly remembered by our players, staff and supporters.

See also  Romano Makes Big Claim About United's Interest In Jude Bellingham As He Names The Three "Frontrunners"

“Initially joining on loan, he played a key role in the Magpies squad that secured the Championship title in 2017 before making a permanent move to help us establish our place back in the Premier League.”

Search and rescue workers found Atsu’s body where he was staying at Ronesans Residence, a block of high-rise luxury flats that toppled over in Antakya city in Hatay.

Turkish police arrested the building’s contractor at Istanbul airport last week as he appeared to be heading to Montenegro, according to state news agency Anadolu.

The former Newcastle United attacker Atsu is now dead, his agent, Asamoa Gyan who is a big fan of his late country man and sources in Ghana has confirmed this update.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *