According to a source, Manchester United striker Jadon Sancho has been left out of the Red Devils’ official squad picture for the 2023-24 season
Since challenging Erik ten Hag’s decision to leave him out of the squad for the 3-1 loss to Arsenal in September, the England international has been kept out of the squad.
Ten Hag stated that Sancho’s absence was due to a string of bad performances in training, but the former Borussia Dortmund player openly disputed Ten Hag’s account of events, claiming that he had been made a “scapegoat.”
Sancho’s message was briefly posted on his X page before being erased, but there has been no settlement to his dispute with Ten Hag.
The Dutchman is said to be waiting for a public and private apology from Sancho before re-integrating him into the group, but Sancho has refused to back down and has yet to apologise to his head coach.
Sancho is said to have been restricted from the first-team facilities at the club’s Carrington training site, where he is practising separate from the main group of players, as well as the cafeteria.
Sancho’s Manchester United colleagues are believed to be on his manager’s side, begging with the 23-year-old to reach an agreement with Ten Hag, although there is presently no evidence that he intends to do so.
As a result, both Manchester United and Sancho will try to manufacture a move away during the January transfer window, and even if he does go, it will have no effect on Man United’s first in-person team portrait since the 2014-15 season.
According to the Manchester Evening News, the attacker was left out of the shoot, which took place three weeks ago at Carrington – in the middle of his extended hiatus.
Even if Sancho does come out and apologise to Ten Hag, it is said to make little difference at this point considering how long the Dutchman has already waited, and his Manchester United career looks to be over.
The Red Devils won a fierce transfer fight to sign Sancho from Borussia Dortmund in 2021, but the England international has yet to regain the form that helped him become a Bundesliga sensation.
Sancho had only 12 goals and six assists in 82 games with the Red Devils, and he only made three substitute appearances at the start of the 2023-24 season before being dropped.
The 23-year-old’s 2022-23 season was likewise hampered by a combination of mental and physical issues, and he has not played for his country in almost two years.
Sancho’s old club Dortmund and Italian heavyweights Juventus are expected to be the major competitors for the winger’s signature in January, though he would supposedly prefer a loan exit for the second half of the season.
Sancho is expected to be absent once more when Manchester United return to Premier League action on Saturday evening against newly-promoted Sheffield United, where the Red Devils will look to improve on an indifferent record of four wins and four defeats in their first eight top-flight games of the season.